I took a quick trip out to the property yesterday at lunch to meet up with the plumber. We discussed the routing of the sewer pipes in the basement in order to make sure they don't get in the way of my 2 post lift. We also discussed the potential of adding a bathroom to the basement at some point. Very helpful!
Framing started on the basement on Friday and, much to my surprise, the contractors were on-site Saturday as well! I spent a few minutes talking to David and his crew and went back to installing my Delta Drain. Well a couple hours later, David walks around the corner on his cell phone and tells me that Josh (from Adair) needs to talk to me. Josh informed me that David had made a rather large mistake in assuming that the floor joists would sit INSIDE of the concrete foundation, instead of ON TOP of the foundation like I had requested. The whole purpose of the 10' walls in the basement is for me to be able to A) have a 2 post lift in the basement while it acts as my shop and B) have 9' finished walls once we decide remodel it. I feel like both Josh and David were fishing for me to say "yeah, that's ok"... I don't think so.
Long story short, the exterior 2x6 walls are all 9.5" too short and Josh is now looking for a way to fix it without tearing everything out and re-doing it. There is a potential for a 6x10 beam to fill the gap all the way around the house, and the joists would sit on top of that... but we need engineer approval before we can proceed. Josh has assured me that it will be fixed, and that it will not affect the overall budget of the house.
More delays... :(
That "Rim" should be installed ABOVE the foundation wall, not level with it.
Not only was it raining, dark and muddy... but my poor dog was apparently afraid of the .22 shells we used to sink the nails. Long story short, he ran away and it took a good 2 hours to find him. Thanks again Russ for sticking with me while we looked for my little buddy.
OK now on to construction!
Russ (once again) volunteered to help me out with the Delta Drain 6000 installation. Armed with some concrete powder pins and a nailer, we trekked off to Toledo to "get er done"! That was the attitude at the beginning of the project... "how hard can this be?"... the answer to that was sadly "really hard".
Because of the rigidity of the plastic, and the odd shape of my back wall.. we had a hell of a time making the corners and getting the drain board to "snap together". The nailer also had a bit of a learning curve, as you had to angle the shell down before you hit the back of the handle, otherwise the .22 shell would dislodge and you would ruin it. ugh
Here are the first 3 sheets we installed.
I decided to roll from the top to bottom instead of from one side to the other. More cutting, more nailing, a LOT less waste.
For the last couple weeks, I have been soliciting advice from builders in the area on how best to prevent water from entering my basement. With 10' walls in the back, and living about 30 feet from a designated Wet Land, I am going to have water issues... period. After researching all the recommended products to "waterproof" my basement, I decided to throw everything out.. and buy something no-one had used before.
This stuff is awesome! It's main purpose is keeping water out of commercial buildings and civil engineering projects (think bridges and tunnels). It was NOT cheap, but if I am going to use the basement as livable space, I may as well make sure the water will not create mold... mold is bad m'kay! The Delta Drain system is designed to use in conjunction with a french drain and basically is a waterproof barrier between the foundation wall and the backfill dirt. Water hits the geotextile fabric and flows down the drainboard into the french drain. What the best way to make something waterproof?? Make sure that no water gets near it. Tyler and I took a road trip to Eugene to pick it up (thanks Leo) and it's ready to go as soon as the damn rain stops.
The salesman at Masco who sold me on the Delta Drain system said that most of his contractors do not do any "damp proofing" behind the drainboard, they simply nail it on and call it good. I wanted some sort of back-up just in case the french drain ever got clogged, so I bought 30 gallons of Henry 101 Unfibered Roof & Foundation Coating and a few 3-knot brushes.
Delta Drain 6000 and Henry 101
The wall after 2 coats and a few beers!
View of the construction site from about half-way through the wetland
Just took a quick trip out to the home site at lunch to find progress! We've had a couple days of rain this week, which has shut down progress. The sun came out today, as did the contractors! Paul (Paul Nowak Construction) said that it would take a few days for the concrete to cure, but that we could have framers out as early as next week! From what I've been told, once the framing starts... it's a quick process to get the rest of the house up.... which is good, because Darren's Adair 1920 is quickly catching up with me and I want my house done first! (Darren is a co-worker, so we bicker about who's house will be done first)
Paul working the power trowel
Paul and his boys at work (I think he has 6 kids, and all 6 work for him, and all 6 are boys!)