Monday, October 18, 2010

Plumbing Plumbing Plumbing

A full weekend of house projects! 

The contractors showed up this weekend to put the finishing touches on the siding, and Dad and I brought the excavator out to connect the power, water and storm drains.

Top of the house, done!

In order to install the soffits, the guys had to build a temporary deck!

Rain drains in!

Tying the french drain to the rain drains to carry water out past the driveway
Power and water connections

Little vault for the PVC valve

Tyler is helping sweep the basement

Friday, October 8, 2010

Back-fill is done(ish)

We got all the back-fill done this week, now we are just waiting for the rains to compact the dirt.  Once everything is compacted down, we will need to do a final grade and push some of the excess dirt over to where my shop is going.  But at least the contractors can get in the house from the top now!  that makes them happy

Tyler approves!

Tyler loves the Excavator!

Tuesday, October 5, 2010


French drain done, time for backfill!

Working from one corner to the other

Late night!

I can walk in the front door!

French Drain

More work on the French Drain this weekend (all day Sunday).  I bribed Russ to come out and help with the promise of beer and power-tools.  Little did he know, I rented him something extra special!  These little Toro Dingo's are AWESOME for hauling rock.  We hauled about 8 yards in just over 2 hours.

Russ and the Dingo

D-I-N-G-O!  Beats a shovel

Ready for a layer for filter fabric

Ready for back-fill!


At the last minute, I decided to run a secondary sewer pipe under the footing for a future bathroom.  The existing sewer pipe enters the basement in a weird spot, and I didn't want to be forced in to having a bathroom in a less than ideal location.  So I dug a hole under the footing from the outside and dug a trench to intercept our existing sewer connection.

Roof on, House wrapped!

Over the last week, a lot of progress has been made!

House is wrapped, and the roof is on

The hose bibs were apparently installed in the "usual" location for and Adair 1560, but somehow the plumber forgot to take in to account that fact that the house was sitting on a 10' basement.  The hose bib's are literally 12' off the ground at finished grade.  Epic fail

Upper part of the house